Friday, July 3, 2015

Emptying My Closet



I am in the gay-tolerance closet and I guess it might be time for me to come out. I don’t care if you are gay—sorry, I really don’t. I have a hard enough time thinking about my own sex life let alone someone else’s.
 I sin just like the rest of you, gay or straight. I struggle enough each day to fight off the evil that creeps into my own thoughts and actions to worry too much about the demons any gay (or straight) person may or may not be battling.  But I do care about people, and that is the reason for my writing this piece.
If anyone cares enough for my opinion or wants my  input on the gay marriage issue, they usually ask me personally; in person, over a cup of coffee or lunch and I explain—and if we disagree on a topic,  we have what was once known in the old days as a good old-fashioned debate. Then we part as friends with new thoughts for contemplation. My views are far too complex to try to explain any other way. But I can give you a glimpse of  a few of my thoughts here, if you are so inclined, read on.

Like most everyone else I have gay friends and acquaintances. I don't know about yours, but mine are kind, hard working, talented individuals who have a lot to offer the world. I am glad to see some of them who were once hesitant to speak of their personal lives before contribute in an intelligent and insightful way to the conversation. But frankly, I care more about their hearts and the good things they do rather than who they choose to spend their  most intimate momentsMany of them openly say they are Christians and know about Jesus. Many grew up in Christian families: so if they know about Jesus, I leave it up to them to make peace with Him and not worry about what I think.



 I do however care about all people’s rights, and everyone’s right to live their life as they see fit.  I do not think the issue of gay marriage is as black and white as many like to pretend. I am concerned for the rights of others too as we navigate the new Supreme Court decision. I worry about the fallout for others outside the gay community in the coming years.  Some claim this is a slippery slope we are now on in regards to religious freedoms. Many Christian leaders believe the ruling will create a restricted role for people of faith in American society.  I am inclined to believe that. There are many religious organizations currently facing legal consequences for their moral convictions. How is this ruling fair for them?
Will religious communities lose rights once guaranteed them by The Constitution? What about religious schools that forbid same sex marriage in their teachings?  I guess we shall see in the coming months and years

Often, Christians are judged based on a few misguided and zealous followers who at times are carried away in the heat of the moment just like their opposition. We are after all, human, with flaws.  But make no mistake. This is not a joke to me and I hold fast to certain beliefs.  Please, feel free to get married if you want, whoever you are and pay no mind to me. I am still here for you with love as I hope you are for me. Civil unions are a right now in the eyes of the government and have no impact on my personal views of the sanctity of the unique union of a man and a woman in traditional religious marriage ceremonies.  I believe that when the Lord said that man was to fall in love and cleave to his wife, that’s what he meant. But that is me, I am not attracted people of the same sex so that's an easy one for me to follow. I do not mean to disrespect you if you are gay by referring to that verse. Please understand there are other topics Jesus spoke of that are far more difficult for me to follow and that I struggle with every day. I sin, sadly for me and according to the Bible any sin, great or small is sufficient to keep us from God. So, like you, I struggle to live as Jesus commanded us.  To be honest, I am much more fearful about what Jesus said about judgement and forgiveness than I am of what he said about a man or a woman's intimate relationships.   
So this is where Grace comes in, and I think if people really understood the concept of Grace, they would think differently.  By accepting it is impossible for me not to sin and knowing the only way to Heaven is through God's mercy, I am like my gay friends; I am a sinner, in need of a Savior. We are no better than the least among us.  
But as a dear friend pointed out to me the other day, Grace is not a word to be thrown around lightly, before you use it, learn what it really means. It is a concept difficult to grasp at first, and many throw it around without a real understanding of Gods word and his plan for us. God loves freely, God loves abundantly, God loves us all. But remember this, God has little tolerance for those of us-- gay or straight who refuse to love their fellow man with understanding and compassion and who will not forgive freely.

In my view with the current ruling, government is government, and is separate from my faith even if the government is oppressive to me or anyone else. Jesus once said: (Mark 12:17) “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marveled at him.” So as long as my faith and my church are not affected; as long as my church and other people of differing views are equally free to practice their beliefs in the best way they see fit: as long as churches are not sued, persecuted, discriminated against or forced to fundamentally change to fit someone’s agenda, by all means, carry on my friends.  
In praying for guidance on my feelings regarding same-sex marriage or the gay lifestyle, I have come to the conclusion that we should all take heart, and know that God is in control. God has already taken in to account the wrong turns and mistakes we make in our lives. This is why he gave his Only Son. We simply  kneel humbly before him, understand we are all sinners, give thanks for His immense love and compassion for us and accept his mercy as demonstrated by Jesus, who died for us on the cross.
Jesus loves us all, in spite of our sins, so what would he be saying right now? I don’t know for sure, but I imagine it’s what I feel he says to me often. Something like this:
·      I love you, not the better person you are trying to be, but you, right now. I know you are a sinner     and  I want what is best for you, follow me, I will give you rest.
·      I understand rejection and know how it feels to be a social outcast. Let me wrap my arms around you; please do not reject me.
·      I know how it feels to be tempted; don’t forget I lived on the earth for a time too.  Read about my time on earth, [How many of us actually read and study the Bible on a daily basis? Most who are the most critical know little of it's contents] pray, talk to others who know me, and understand my life was not an easy one. But if you walk with me, I promise you greater rewards than you could ever imagine.
·      I want more for you. Trust me, I have good things beyond what you could ever envision. Ignore all the protesting, yelling, and unrest right now, just because something is popular, does not mean it is right…listen to me…hear my voice; in your heart of hearts, you will hear me.…trust me, and learn what I have to offer you, learn of my Grace and forgiveness. Come to me, I am calling you.

No comments:

Post a Comment