Monday, June 6, 2016

Hidden Agendas in the Unlikely Places


I have in the past enjoyed a few speeches given by our First Lady, Michelle Obama. But the one she delivered at the final commencement at The City College of New York   has me deeply concerned. Again I feel I need to say, I am not defending Trump, but I’m getting sick of all the nonsense. Allow me, if you will, to go step by step through this snippet, as I hear lots of political rhetoric. Mrs. Obama  says, “we don’t give into our fears, we don’t build up walls to keep people out” What does that mean? Who’s afraid? No one I know. And certainly not Trump. Maybe she means letting anyone from anywhere come and go as they wish? She better check with her husband first though because his administration has deported more illegals than any president before him. We can’t go into Mexico illegally, why can they do it here? She says people are afraid of those who are different” Who is afraid? Not me, I have friends of all races, religions and cultures. I am sure most of us do. So whom is she talking about? Trump? He most likely has more friends, business partners and acquaintances of more diverse backgrounds and cultures than any of us, including the Frist Lady. Who is she talking out when she says “there are those who discourage diversity.”? Is that Trump again? Trump encourages entrepreneurship regardless of race or religion. So it can’t be him. He has supporters of all races. Does she mean Conservatives in general? Seems to me the Republican Party this time around has more ethnically diverse candidates than the Democrats. “They act as as if anger and name calling are a substitute for thoughtful debate” Hey wait, she must be on my side. I see plenty of anger and name calling by anti-Trump protesters aka Democrats or illegals or whoever they are. I’ll give her that one. Or maybe she is referring to both Trump and Sanders who equally are very brash in their angst over what they believe to be wrong with this country. (The later, being a career politician, is just better at doing it more palatable manner I guess)
Finally: “As if anger and intolerance should be our default state rather than optimism and openness that have always been the engine of our progress.” Yes Michelle, we always have been a country of optimism and openness. We have always been optimistic based on the progress we have made through the ears. We have always been open to diversity and love of our fellow man. Nothing new there, no one is trying to stifle it. Unless you count the folks who are burning flags and shouting “Death to America” And I can guarantee you those are not Trump supporters.
Ms Obama, I thought you were above this kind of rhetoric. Using the word “they, they, they” all the time incites division. Is this the kind of talk given by a skilled public speaker and the president’s wife?  Where is your attempt at creating unity among citizens?? Don’t’ you know better?? This speech makes me very sad indeed. Using a commencement ceremony as a political platform is in very bad form.  

No comments:

Post a Comment